Because the focus of Ronald McDonald House Charities (RMHC) is the welfare of children, our House awards grants to not-for-profit organizations that help children within the Greater Cincinnati area.
Through this funding, it is our hope that children will live happier, healthier, more productive lives and that Greater Cincinnati will be a safe and friendly community for families and children.
Our grant funds come from a portion of donations received from McDonald’s customers via their in-store and drive-thru donation boxes. Global Ronald McDonald House Charities also matches a portion of these donations to allow us to provide this valuable service to the community.
Grants will only be made to not-for-profit, charitable organizations as described in Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code. Generally, we awards grants up to $5,000. Organizations that win grants must wait at least two full years from the date of their award before applying for another grant.
The areas of concentration are:
- Health and safety
- Arts and culture
- Social service
We provide grants to a wide variety of organizations and request that each acknowledge RMHC’s support when possible.
RMHC funds programs which:
- Directly improve the health and well being of children from birth to 18 years of age
- Serve children in the Greater Cincinnati area
- Demonstrate the ability to respond to needs and yield a measurable result
- Have a broad base of funding support
- Have management capacity to effectively execute the project
- Have a clear, concise plan for project evaluation with outcome measurements
RMHC does not fund:
- Partisan, political or denominational programs
- General and administrative (i.e. operating) costs
- Advertising or fundraising drives
- Salaries, stipends or travel expenses
- Intermediary funding agencies
- Individuals or provide scholarships
- Capital or endowment campaigns
- Requests that do not follow the outlined process
- Organizations which have been funded within the past two calendar years of current request
Grant applications are reviewed at quarterly Grants Committee meetings. Deadlines for applications are scheduled approximately six weeks prior to the meeting to allow for site visits and complete review by the Grants Committee. Submitting an application on or near the deadline is not advised, as any applications which are incomplete may be held until the next review session.
3rd Quarter 2013 June 10, 2013
4th Quarter 2012 September 16, 2013
1st Quarter 2014 December 16, 2013
How to Apply
Download our grant application. After completing the application, please mail 12 unbound copies (binder clips are acceptable, but no staples please) with all necessary attachments to: Ronald McDonald House Charities, Attention: Grants Committee, 350 Erkenbrecher Avenue, Cincinnati, Ohio 45229.
If your application passes the initial screening process, a member of our grants committee may contact you to schedule a site visit to gather more information about your agency and the specific project for which you seek funding.
Responsibilities of Grant Recipients
The recipients of any grant from RMHC must use the funds awarded for the specific purpose for which they were originally intended. Any funds not used for the requested project must be returned. Any request for a revision in use of funds must be submitted in writing to RMHC and must receive written approval. By accepting a grant from RMHC, you agree to allow RMHC to use your organization’s name and the project information in public relations material, including but not limited to news releases, RMHC’s website and newsletters.
Grant recipients must submit an evaluation of the use of funds no later than one year from the award date. The report should include an evaluation of the success of the project, measurable outcomes and any available photographs or receipts. Organizations which do not return an evaluation will be excluded from additional funding in the future. Please refer to the Grant Evaluation Form for required reporting details.
Helpful hints for your application:
- Submit a cover letter explaining the background of the organization and nature of the grant proposal along with twelve (12) unbound (binder clips are acceptable) copies of the completed grant application. The RMHC checklist must be included with the application. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
- The individual submitting the grant must be authorized to do so on behalf of the organization.
- The Grants Committee meets four times per year and reviews all grants received for that period. The committee generally meets on the fourth Monday in January, April, July and October. Applications must be submitted no later that six weeks before the review session or it will be held until the next session. You may call for deadline confirmation.
- The applicant will be notified of the committee’s decision by mail within six weeks of the application deadline.
- Within one year of funding, recipients are expected to share results of their program and evidence of grant implementation.